Wednesday, August 15, 2007

independence

Today, the 15th of august 2007, India becomes 60 years old.
Today, the 15th of august 2007, Stella Maris Collage becomes 60 years old. ( I HAD to mention that)

1 billion people come together to celebrate...crossed flags stuck onto your bonnet with dirty little tape bits, beggars accusing you of being unpatriotic for refusing to give them money (only 5 Rs. or more accepted), Spencer 'Plasa' overflowing with rail hugging patriots and the good ol'sun beating down on our skin a little harder to remind us of our delightful freedom.

Yes, independence does bring out the best in us; but it all pales in comparison to the Lifestyle Sale. Citicentre had turned into a cesspool of miserably jobless humans, clamouring to absorb all the 'air conditioning' they possibly could to avoid the treacherous heat. Even more miserably enough... I was one of them.
There I was, stomping after my mother, who oblivious to all the madness, was squealing in delight at a Salwar that was 40% off. While I mumbled a nondescript reply to our 'wonderful good fortune', I caught myself thinking of any excuse to get out of that goddamn place -
I have work
I have to pee
I'm going to faint
The mannequin is giving me a self esteem problem
My pants have ripped
Public places are unsafe on national holidays
The valet looked shifty
My feet are going to explode...

while all this was running through my severely tortured brain - my mother turns to me and says
 "you want to eat something?"

SUDDENLY... the crowds seem to shrink, the formerly idiotic attendants began to look endearingly polite, the sale seemed totally worth it, my head didn't feel like exploding and my mom and her wallet gleamed like angels of a very benevolent god.

I nodded, she paid, we ate, I smiled, my car didn't explode... and I'm home.

The valet is my new best friend.

No comments: